Art Supplies in Athens

As an art minor student, the beginnings of my semesters consist of dropping $100+ on art supplies for the upcoming class. While Athens is a town abundant in many stores of many varieties, I often find the art supply scene to be lacking. However, if you're interested in where you can find the best supplies, hopefully this article can help.
1. Michael's. This is probably the most obvious, as it is located by Target (a high traffic area). This is where I usually go to get supplies, while they only have 2 aisles of actual drawing and painting supplies. This is the place to get sketchbooks (Canson Mixed Media sketchbooks are the best for a variety of supplies) and Copic Markers, my medium of choice. They do have a lot of color variants as well as cheaper brands of brush markers (such as Prismacolor markers and Promarkers). However, Michael's hardly ever keeps the stock of their markers consistent. From 2015 until a few months ago, they hadn't added any more markers, so there were about 5 left of random colors. Once they restocked, they were gone again almost instantly. So, you have to get the timing right.
2. The Loft on Baxter Street. This is another obvious option, as most teachers at the art school not only encourage students to go there, but they also can make class packs where students come in with the CRN number of their class and can then purchase a kit of everything they need for the class. However, I have only personally been to this store thrice. Once I was looking for Copic markers, which they don't have. The staff was a little unfriendly and I felt very intimidated to go back. The second time, I just needed a "white pencil" (the words of my teacher). I asked the employee, and she laughed in my face and told me all I needed was a white colored pencil. Again, felt very uncomfortable going there. The third time, I needed to purchase a specific large-scale size and type of paper for a class. This experience was a lot better. The employees were helpful and kind. However, I found the supplies to be a lot more expensive, and I don't have much desire to return based on my first two visits.
3. K.A. Artist Shop located Downtown. This is a newer store that I have only just recently been exposed to.
I might be biased because I volunteer there every week, but this is my absolute favorite art store in Athens. I think it's a bit unfortunate, as they don't have any signage outside the store and its located across the street from Topper's, so it's a little hard to find. I just happened to stumble across it one day. They offer a variety of supplies, cheap and high end. Additionally, they sell kits of supplies, such as "Beginner Calligraphy Supplies" and a range of other levels of skill. They sell planners, notebooks, school supplies, backpacks, canvases, and so much more. They are also a very charitable store, as they have bins of free supplies (which is typically damaged supplies that they can't sell). Kristen, the owner, hand-letters all of the labels for the supplies, designs all of the stickers they put on their products, and hand-selects the supplies they buy. They also support local artists by selling their pins, stickers, patches, and postcards. Additionally, they have art galleries a few times a year in which they display artist's work and put them up for sale. And finally, they offer a large variety classes with both Kristen and a local professional artist named Otto.
They aren't currently hiring, but they do accept volunteers. I got involved a few weeks ago. While working, I help set up or take down the classroom, help package supplies, do inventory, and help ring up customers. It's been a great experience to learn more about running a local business. 
While they're an amazing store, I hope to help them more with marketing themselves and getting more business. Not a lot of people know about the store.

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment