The Road to 'Roo

As summer slowly approaches, so do various concerts and festivals. Bonnaroo is no exception, a yearly festival held in Manchester, Tennessee. On the way home yesterday, I heard an ad for a contest being held by the local Athens radio station, Power 100.1. The ad states that, you and your band (assuming you are all over 21) can submit an mp3 of an original song. If chosen, the winning band will get to have their very own set at Bonnaroo.

Even though this contest doesn't really need many selling points, one of the key things stated in the ad is that you will be playing alongside your favorite artists such as U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Major Lazer. Although a bit of an exaggeration (meaning the winning band won't physically be playing next to these groups), Bonnaroo does have a pretty stacked line up. Being on the same line up as these artists would be quite the honor in itself.
One of the groups included in the line up for Bonnaroo is a band called Bad Suns. Bad Suns are an LA based band that have spent the last 3 years touring and promoting their album. In 2014, they were an opening act for The 1975, a fairly popular alternative band. Next, they opened for The Neighbourhood, another popular alternative band. This year, they are doing two separate headlining tours (Heartbreaker Tour and Outskirts of Paradise Tour) across the United States, including multiple shows in California and Florida. 
Over these past few years, their following has grown due to the acts they have associated themselves with, and subsequently, the festivals they have been able to be a part of. Due to my interest in the 1975 and similar bands, I saw Bad Suns as an opening act for a few shows.
Over the summer, I saw them live at their own headline tour in Atlanta in a very small venue near Centennial Park. Being one of about 50 people there, I was very close to the stage. It was easily one of my favorite concerts I've been to.
After the show, I was able to meet the members of the band and give them some art I had created based on their songs. The lead singer was very appreciative and promised to keep it around. He displayed some of my work on his Instagram story later that night. Since then, my connections with Bad Suns have grown.
At my own leisure, I drew several small comics based on some of their songs that they saw and shared praise for. Their tour manager later asked me over Instagram DM to come up with some more artwork to give to them when they come back to Atlanta in March. I've already started drafting a few things, and even made one of these designs come to life in my studio drawing class for school.
Being able to draw for bands is one of my all time goals, so I hope to be able to incorporate it into my future.
I don't have any musical talent, otherwise I would enter the Road to 'Roo contest. However, I do find it very interesting and a very inspiring contest. I always appreciate mainstream outlets supporting local artists and creators. The winning group will be selected sometime after the deadline in late February. Visit powerathens.com/entertainment/contests for more information.


Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment